Who are the people in the header?
From left to right, the photos used to make up my header are of:
1. Eliza (nee Bishop) and Henry Bacon. Eliza and Henry were married in Melrose, South Australia on 10 January 1875. This photo may have been taken at around that time. Henry was born 9 August 1852 at Woolundunga Station, near Mt Brown, South Australia and he died in Narrogin South Australia. Henry and Eliza had five children:
Frederick Charles Bacon, Ada Mary Bacon, Herbert Harry Bacon, Louisa Rebecca Bacon and Edith Alice Bacon.
Henry was a farmer, butcher and baker.
Henry was the brother of my great-great grandmother, Johanna (Bacon) Kirwan. He helped his neice, Jane (Kirwan) Harry raise Johanna’s children when she became ill and then died. Their father was either away or drinking and was often not around or available.
2. Langford Hanna. Langford (known to the family as ‘Lanx’ and recorded as sometimes called ‘Jack’ in his war service record) was born in Brighton, Victoria in 1892. He served in the first World War and returned to Australia after being wounded at both Gallipoli and France. Langford married after his return from the war, and moved to Katanning Western Australia, where he worked on the railways as a train driver.
Langford was a brother of my great grandmother, Marion (Hanna) Kirwan.
3. Family Wedding 1968. The bride and groom at this wedding were My Dad’s sister and her husband [living]. The wedding was held at Norseman on 30 November 1968.
The people in the photo are:
Back Row L-R: Bride’s sister[living], Bride’s sister [living], my Mum [living], Bride’s brother, my Dad Frank McLeod Kirwan, who also officiated at the service, Bride’s brother in law, Ronald Melmoth Jackson, Bride’s sister [living], Bride’s aunty, Kathleen A (Doyle) McLeod, unknown – was at wedding with Kathleen, possibly her friend.
Middle Row: Bride’s brother [living].
Front Row L-R: my brother [living], Michelle Kirwan (that’s me!), Groom [living], Bride [living], [Bride’s mother] Alice Elizabeth (McLeod) Kirwan and Bride’s father, Frank Greer Kirwan.
4. Marion (Hanna) Kirwan. Marion was born in North Brighton, Victoria, to parents Frederick Greer Hanna and Rosina (Hammond) on 30 December 1887.
Marion married Nicholas Wade Kirwan on 3 June 1907 at Leonora Mechanic’s Institute, Leonora, Western Australia.
Marion and Nicholas had two children – Frank Greer Kirwan (my grandfather) born in Sandstone Western Australia 27 April 1908; and Richard Frederick Kirwan born in Perth Western Australia on 10 August 1909.
Marion died of typhoid fever at the Perth Hospital on 20 December 1910 and was buried at Karrakatta Cemetery, Perth on 24 December 1910.
Her death and burial and newspaper death notices all record her as ‘Daisy Kirwan’, however members of her family I met in the early 1990s told me they had only ever heard her referred to as Marion.
5. Henry Bacon and Eliza (Bishop) Bacon (see 1. above). This is a photo of Henry and Eliza taken many years after the first photo.